Skip to main content

My first outpatients appointment on my own!

On Thursday I had to go to my first outpatients appointment and I went on my own.  I did not have to go on my own, but I figure that I may as well get used to it as this is now how my life is going to be.

As well as going through my blood results, checking my waterworks and blood pressure I had to try and do the dreaded injection myself again!  Now, this may sound bonkers but I had spent some time just holding the needle and getting used to the feel of it in my hand!  The injection doesn't hurt so there is no reason whatsoever why I can't do it myself.  Well I would just like to say that I am no longer incompetent!!  Whoopee!!

Once all the boring stuff had been done my doctor came in to see me.  I could tell by his face that something was bothering him.  He basically said that he is battling with the decision of whether to put me on dialysis or not.  He said that he didn't have any patients with function as low as mine who were not on dialysis and he was worried that I may become too poorly to have the transplant.

In the end he said he would leave me as I am for now but I got the impression that next time I go in, regardless of my blood results, I would be starting dialysis.  Although a scary thought, I feel that the method I have chosen is right for me and the most un-intrusive method that there is.

As I was leaving I saw another doctor and he asked if I was coming to his clinic.  It turns out that two of the doctors are fighting over having me on their list!  How special do I feel?!?  I think it must be because I am a slightly different case to your average and it must make life a little more interesting for them!  I decided on which I would prefer on the basis that one was much straighter talking than the other, I can't be doing with waffle, just give it to me straight and I will deal with it!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Flys When You're Having Fun!!

Well here I am again letting you know that another year has passed since I had my transplant FOUR years ago! The difference this transplant has made to my life is enormous. Whilst on dialysis, although I carried on with my life, the fatigue meant I spent the majority of my free time in bed or with my feet up wrapped in loads of blankets with the heating on full as I could never warm up. Now life is unbelievable! In my last blog in August I was telling you the story about my success at the British Transplant Games.  Since then I have had the honor of being asked to represent Team GB in the World Transplant Games in Argentina which will take place in August this year!! I entered the British Transplant Games initially for two reasons, firstly to raise awareness of organ donation and that is still extremely important to me, so if you haven't done so already please sign up here  but don't forget to discuss your wishes with your loved ones. Secondly to get fit and healt

Six Year! WOW!

Another year has passed with the gift of life which I received from mum six years ago! It has been a year of ups and downs, with actually way too many downs. The Pirate FM Awards In April last year I had the honour of receiving the "Sporting Achievement Award" at the Pirate FM Local Hero Awards.  Trev had put my name forward unknowingly to me and I won!  You can read more in my blog HERE .   At the awards ceremony Poorly Mum At the Pirate FM awards ceremony, mum wasn't very well.  In fact she wasn't well for a very long time with several long stays in hospital and two operations.  Mum was not actually beginning to feel better until late August.  I'm pleased to report that mum is back to her normal self again now. Mum & I at Christmas The British Transplant Games The British Transplant Games were in Liverpool last year at the end of July.  As is always the case, the Plymouth Team was small but mighty!  Winning 25 medals between jus

Goodbye Dad

It  is with great sadness that I am writing this blog. My Dad, Terry Carroll, passed away on the 31st August following a cardiac arrest on Helston Bowling Green on the 24th August. We take great comfort in the fact that he was doing what he loved. Dad was taken to hospital by air ambulance and had his heart restarted, however, his brain was without oxygen for too long and we were told by the doctors that he was very unlikely to survive.   After three days with no response from dad, the doctor introduced us to the donor nurse. As you know, all of my family are advocates for organ donation, but we never thought for a minute that we would be on the other side of that conversation. Dad had been on the donor register for many years, long before I was unwell, and had made his wishes very clear, therefore we said yes.   The fact that dad wished to donate his organs meant that there was a delay before the doctors took dad off his ventilator, 12 hours or so.  We discovered that dad