Skip to main content

My Stay in Hospital!

Having read lots of other peoples blogs who have been through this operation, I was hoping for an epiphany after the operation.  Many people have said that they have literally opened their eyes and have felt like a different person.  Unfortunately that was not the case for me!  I had many complications but all seems to be getting better now!

I spent the night of the operation being so thirsty.  The nurse advised me to just sip the water, which I did, but I must have sipped way too often as I spent most of the night vomiting, yummy!!

The next day I had a chance to assess all of the bits and bobs which were attached to me, they were as follows:
  • Oxygen mask
  • Heart monitor
  • Cannula in my hand and elbow crease
  • Central line (a line placed in my neck which goes into the superior vena cava and has five ends which can be used for your IV drugs or taking bloods etc).
  • Wound drain
  • Catheter
On the Wednesday it soon became clear to me that my recovery was different to the "norm"!!  The Doctors were over the moon with the performance of the kidney as it was already clearing all of the toxins in my system in super quick time, however, the Doc's seemed to be very interested in the amount of water which I was passing!

At this point I had no idea how much water people usually pass, however, in my first 24 hours I passed 18 litres!!  This meant that via my central line and cannula's I had to have the same amount "put back in"!  You ought to have seen the size my ankles and fingers went!  I have never seen such water retention!!

On the Thursday the nurse told me that normally people pass about 40mls per hour, I was passing a massive 600mls per hour!  The Doctors started trying to wean some water off me in an attempt to "slow the kidney down".  They had to do this slowly as they didn't want to put the kidney off working as well as it was.

Mum went home on Saturday 15th January, although very sore from the operation, she was recovering very well and was being looked after by my brother Andy and his wife Emma.  The bonus for mum is she has her new grandson Jago staying for the week too ;-)

On the Sunday the Doctors became concerned with my blood pressure, a high blood pressure can cause damage to your kidneys and the Doctors did not want my blood pressure to damage my new one!  In theory the new kidney should be able to control my blood pressure but I am now back on three medications a day to help keep mine down.

I was beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel now as the amount of water being pumped into me was reducing and my blood pressure was coming down, however things are never that simple for me!  On Monday the 17th January the Doctor advised that my platelets had reduced to 48 (the normal range being in the region of 150) and that my red blood cells were half what they should be.  The Doctors were concerned that I had an unusual condition which is where one of the anti rejection drugs effects your blood detrimentally.  I was instantly taken off these drugs and booked for a biopsy of the new kidney.

I have had a biopsy before and I did not relish the idea of having one again, however, as I was advised by the medical team, it is not half as bad on your new kidney as it is very close to the surface and it has no nerve endings.  Well, they were right!  I didn't feel a thing! 

On Wednesday the 19th after an entire day waiting for the results, the Doctor advised that there was not a problem with my anti rejection drugs and that I had a marvelous kidney which they expected to last 20 to 25 years!!  They also advised that it was still slightly "sleeping" so they expect it to eventually perform even better than it is now!!  This however still left us with the problem of the falling platelets and red blood cells.  At this point the Doctor casually dropped into conversation that I could have a problem with my bone marrow!  Oh joy!  He also said that I could require a bone marrow biopsy, NO THANK YOU!!

On a very positive note, on the Wednesday I had the remaining lines removed from me, this was the wound drain, central line and catheter!  It felt so good to be able to just walk around without dragging the trolley with the drip on and the lovely catheter bag with me!!

I wanted a shower straight away but I was far too tired!  However, the next morning I had a wonderful long shower, washed my hair and put on my PJ's.  I felt human at this point (even if you ignore the fact that I was still having to go to the loo on a two hourly basis due to producing too much water still!!)

I was hoping to be discharged on the Thursday but this was not to be.  The Haematologist had looked at my blood and was not at all happy with it.  I was however lucky enough to be moved to a private room with an en-suite!  I was no longer a high dependency patient and they needed my space for someone with a greater need and there was no other room in any of the female wards!  It was lovely in there!  Trev even went off and got us a pizza for tea!

On the Friday the Doctor came in bright and early to see me.  She advised that my blood was improving again and that the haematologist had looked at a newer sample and was a little happier.  I was allowed to go home!!

Going home is much more difficult than it sounds!  Firstly the pharmacy had to sort out my carrier bag full of drugs, the amount I now have to take is ridiculous!!  Trev and I counted up my daily drugs earlier and it is a massive 31 tablets per day plus my weekly injection!

Then I had to have my "education" all sensible stuff really but it had to be done so that I could have another tick on a form!

I also needed to have all of my discharge paperwork which is interesting reading.

Finally the nurse had to remove half of my staples (about 20) and cap off my dialysis catheter.

In the end, Trev and I were on the road home by about three in the afternoon and I was tucked up in bed by five!!

There you have my stay in hospital!  Sorry for the length of the blog but I wanted to ensure that everything was included!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Flys When You're Having Fun!!

Well here I am again letting you know that another year has passed since I had my transplant FOUR years ago! The difference this transplant has made to my life is enormous. Whilst on dialysis, although I carried on with my life, the fatigue meant I spent the majority of my free time in bed or with my feet up wrapped in loads of blankets with the heating on full as I could never warm up. Now life is unbelievable! In my last blog in August I was telling you the story about my success at the British Transplant Games.  Since then I have had the honor of being asked to represent Team GB in the World Transplant Games in Argentina which will take place in August this year!! I entered the British Transplant Games initially for two reasons, firstly to raise awareness of organ donation and that is still extremely important to me, so if you haven't done so already please sign up here  but don't forget to discuss your wishes with your loved ones. Secondly to get fit and healt

Six Year! WOW!

Another year has passed with the gift of life which I received from mum six years ago! It has been a year of ups and downs, with actually way too many downs. The Pirate FM Awards In April last year I had the honour of receiving the "Sporting Achievement Award" at the Pirate FM Local Hero Awards.  Trev had put my name forward unknowingly to me and I won!  You can read more in my blog HERE .   At the awards ceremony Poorly Mum At the Pirate FM awards ceremony, mum wasn't very well.  In fact she wasn't well for a very long time with several long stays in hospital and two operations.  Mum was not actually beginning to feel better until late August.  I'm pleased to report that mum is back to her normal self again now. Mum & I at Christmas The British Transplant Games The British Transplant Games were in Liverpool last year at the end of July.  As is always the case, the Plymouth Team was small but mighty!  Winning 25 medals between jus

Goodbye Dad

It  is with great sadness that I am writing this blog. My Dad, Terry Carroll, passed away on the 31st August following a cardiac arrest on Helston Bowling Green on the 24th August. We take great comfort in the fact that he was doing what he loved. Dad was taken to hospital by air ambulance and had his heart restarted, however, his brain was without oxygen for too long and we were told by the doctors that he was very unlikely to survive.   After three days with no response from dad, the doctor introduced us to the donor nurse. As you know, all of my family are advocates for organ donation, but we never thought for a minute that we would be on the other side of that conversation. Dad had been on the donor register for many years, long before I was unwell, and had made his wishes very clear, therefore we said yes.   The fact that dad wished to donate his organs meant that there was a delay before the doctors took dad off his ventilator, 12 hours or so.  We discovered that dad