Skip to main content

Mum's Story

In my blog I have been writing about Mum's experience as much as possible, however, for the operation and recovery, I have been unable to write about what Mum has been through as I was not with her as we were in different wards.  I therefore asked Mum if she would be willing to write a blog of her experience:

Angela’s personal account of Kidney Donation
Monday 10th January
Up to muck out the horses at 7.30am for the last time, then off to Tracy's to work. Tracy and Trev picked me up at 2.30pm, giving us plenty of time to get to Heartswell Lodge by 5pm.  We all went for a meal that evening at the Jack Rabbit, but couldn’t eat a lot, as we were all thinking about the next day.
Tuesday 11th January
Woke early after an awful nights sleep.  At 6.45am. Tracy, Trev and I made our way to Fal ward, where I was sent to the yellow section of the room, and put a hospital gown on. Tracy and Trev moved on to the Renal Department, where they had quite a long wait, Trev kept popping down to see me, to keep Tracy up to date with what was going on. I was visited by Mr Barwell, the surgeon, and Mr Price, the anaesthetist, plus a couple of Junior Doctors. Next was a walk to the anaesthetic room, where, after having a few tubes put in I drifted off to sleep.  I can’t remember any more of that day, except voices is the distance.
Wednesday 12th January
I snoozed the morning away in Braunton ward, and after a very uncomfortable bed bath, I was a bit more lively in the afternoon. I was surprised with visits from Hannah, and Colin and Jenny, who bought me some lovely grapes, that I was glad of the next day.
Thursday 13th January
I had a nasty cough because of the anaesthetic, and was told by the Doctors and Nurses that I was not using my morphine enough, (only 19 shots instead of 36), they said I must use it to the max, so I could cough without pain. Being a good patient, I did as I was told.  Within an hour I was flying around the skies at speed, and could not even feel my bed beneath me. When I told the nurses, the morphine was removed ASAP.  Dr Drummond thought my trip was very funny when I told him at Porthleven surgery.  Goodness knows what I said to Sharon and Tania when they visited that afternoon. Later on my catheter was taken out, so it was easier to move about, and I could walk as far as the bathroom. All I ate that day were Colin and Jenny’s grapes.
Friday 14th January
Promised I can go home tomorrow, after my blood test results. 2 Physios came to make sure I could walk up the corridor and a flight of stairs. I was glad to have my cannula taken out, and then started to pack my bags. I was sorry to say goodbye to my ward friends, especially Val, but we still keep in touch. Jonathan, Tracy, Jasmine and Andrew came to see me in the afternoon with some lovely chocolates and a pretty card made by the children.  Later on, Richard and Anita came to visit me, it was lovely to see friends and family from home. To my dismay they decided to move me to PIU that night, gone is the luxury of Braunton ward, and the woman beside me was quite noisy. Not much sleep that night.
Saturday 15th January
Hooray!!! Going home day. I was thrilled to hear Andrews voice at 10.45am, and thought I would soon be on my way.  No such luck. There were only 2 nurses on the ward, and my blood tests were not done. By the time we had the results and a Doctor signed me out it was 3pm,  Andrew wheeled me down to say goodbye to Tracy, and out to the car where Emma, Jago and Millie (the dog) were waiting.  Escape at last.  I even managed a quick visit to see the horses, Rosie and Gypsy, who were glad to see me.
Sunday 16th January
Lovely to be home even though I can’t do much. Andrew and Emma waited on me hand and foot, and little Jago was smiling and talking to me. Lots of visitors in the afternoon, all the rest of the family came by to see how I was.
Since then Andrew has taken me to the surgery twice, once because I had a water infection, and the other time as I had phlebitis, which is clearing up slowly.

When Andrew and Emma went home, Jonathan and Tracy popped in to check on me daily and to take me to the horses.
Tracy and I have had 2 articles in the West Briton, and were interviewed for Spotlight, we hope to encourage people to carry organ donation cards.
Every day I have had visitors, phone calls, cards and flowers, and I am getting better slowly but surely. The support I have had has been wonderful, and I would like to thank all my friends for their help and offers of help, especially Dennis, Sheila and Kathy who looked after Rosie and Gypsy every day while I was away.
Today Tracy and I went for a walk around the Boating Lake,  a few more steps on the road to recovery ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Flys When You're Having Fun!!

Well here I am again letting you know that another year has passed since I had my transplant FOUR years ago! The difference this transplant has made to my life is enormous. Whilst on dialysis, although I carried on with my life, the fatigue meant I spent the majority of my free time in bed or with my feet up wrapped in loads of blankets with the heating on full as I could never warm up. Now life is unbelievable! In my last blog in August I was telling you the story about my success at the British Transplant Games.  Since then I have had the honor of being asked to represent Team GB in the World Transplant Games in Argentina which will take place in August this year!! I entered the British Transplant Games initially for two reasons, firstly to raise awareness of organ donation and that is still extremely important to me, so if you haven't done so already please sign up here  but don't forget to discuss your wishes with your loved ones. Secondly to get fit and healt

Six Year! WOW!

Another year has passed with the gift of life which I received from mum six years ago! It has been a year of ups and downs, with actually way too many downs. The Pirate FM Awards In April last year I had the honour of receiving the "Sporting Achievement Award" at the Pirate FM Local Hero Awards.  Trev had put my name forward unknowingly to me and I won!  You can read more in my blog HERE .   At the awards ceremony Poorly Mum At the Pirate FM awards ceremony, mum wasn't very well.  In fact she wasn't well for a very long time with several long stays in hospital and two operations.  Mum was not actually beginning to feel better until late August.  I'm pleased to report that mum is back to her normal self again now. Mum & I at Christmas The British Transplant Games The British Transplant Games were in Liverpool last year at the end of July.  As is always the case, the Plymouth Team was small but mighty!  Winning 25 medals between jus

Goodbye Dad

It  is with great sadness that I am writing this blog. My Dad, Terry Carroll, passed away on the 31st August following a cardiac arrest on Helston Bowling Green on the 24th August. We take great comfort in the fact that he was doing what he loved. Dad was taken to hospital by air ambulance and had his heart restarted, however, his brain was without oxygen for too long and we were told by the doctors that he was very unlikely to survive.   After three days with no response from dad, the doctor introduced us to the donor nurse. As you know, all of my family are advocates for organ donation, but we never thought for a minute that we would be on the other side of that conversation. Dad had been on the donor register for many years, long before I was unwell, and had made his wishes very clear, therefore we said yes.   The fact that dad wished to donate his organs meant that there was a delay before the doctors took dad off his ventilator, 12 hours or so.  We discovered that dad