Skip to main content

It's been too long . . . .

Hello everybody!  It has been absolutely ages since I have written a blog.  As I have been feeling better I have not felt the need or desire to write anymore!  I am taking this as a positive thing!

So, what has happened in the last two months?!

We held the curry night in aid of Kidney Research UK.  My sister in law, Tracy, organised a fabulous event and we raised a massive £1,000 in the end.  Take a look at this link for the article written by the West Briton on the event.  A huge thank you goes out to everyone who came along or who supported us by buying raffle tickets.


Me and my two brothers treated Mum to a pamper day for mothers day.  I went along too (obviously!!)  The day was great and thoroughly relaxing.  Mum deserved that and more after donating one of her kidneys to me.

Trev and I hired a little boat over the first of the long bank holiday weekends and enjoyed mooring up outside of pubs in Mylor for a spot of lunch and bobbing about all day!

At the start of May I started suffering with another tummy problem and was vomiting once again.  Some of my drugs were reduced and after a few weeks the problem subsided.

My kidney results are still on a roller coaster of good one week and bad the next!  However, it looks to me now that that is how it is going to be!  My kidney function is currently at 40%  Now I'm sure that sounds low to you but in comparison to my previous 4% it is amazing!!

I have started a "bonus ball lottery" in aid of Kidney Research UK.  It is £1 per week and the prize fund is £30 per week and is based on the Saturday night draw.  I still have some numbers to sell so if you would like to take part, please let me know!  I will be collecting the money quarterly by standing order so it should be nice and simple ;-)

On the 7th May I took part in Helston's Flora Day.  This is a promenade type of dance which goes through the streets and houses of Helston town.  The route is about six miles.  I was really worried whether or not I would be able to complete the dance, but I'm pleased to report that I did!!  However, as much as I wanted to stay out and about for longer afterwards, it was straight home to bed for me!!


I had the devastating news mid May that one of the ladies who had a transplant a few days before me passed away.  This made me think about my own mortality a fair amount as up until then I had not considered for a second that anything could go wrong.  My heart goes out to that ladies family and friends.

Finally I have been transferred back to Treliske, at last!!  I had lots of false starts where I was supposed to come back then had a set back, but now it has happened!!  Yay!  Now instead of having a day of going to the hospital, it is a maximum of two hours and then it is back to the grindstone!! 

The doctors are reducing my "bad" blood pressure tablets and I hope that I will be up to full energy levels at some point as a result!  I am still struggling with energy and find most days that a day at work is enough and my evenings are spent with my feet up (lots of people keep telling me this is actually normal!!)

Just to keep you up to date with how mum is, well she is doing great!  Still worrying about me far too much but I suppose that is what mum's do! 

That's it for now!  Can't think of anything else to say!  Don't be alarmed if you don't hear from me in a while!  Things are going great so I have no stories to tell!!

Comments

  1. lovely to hear how positive you are, and how you are gradually getting there, well done for completing FLora, you looked wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time Flys When You're Having Fun!!

Well here I am again letting you know that another year has passed since I had my transplant FOUR years ago! The difference this transplant has made to my life is enormous. Whilst on dialysis, although I carried on with my life, the fatigue meant I spent the majority of my free time in bed or with my feet up wrapped in loads of blankets with the heating on full as I could never warm up. Now life is unbelievable! In my last blog in August I was telling you the story about my success at the British Transplant Games.  Since then I have had the honor of being asked to represent Team GB in the World Transplant Games in Argentina which will take place in August this year!! I entered the British Transplant Games initially for two reasons, firstly to raise awareness of organ donation and that is still extremely important to me, so if you haven't done so already please sign up here  but don't forget to discuss your wishes with your loved ones. Secondly to get fit and healt

Six Year! WOW!

Another year has passed with the gift of life which I received from mum six years ago! It has been a year of ups and downs, with actually way too many downs. The Pirate FM Awards In April last year I had the honour of receiving the "Sporting Achievement Award" at the Pirate FM Local Hero Awards.  Trev had put my name forward unknowingly to me and I won!  You can read more in my blog HERE .   At the awards ceremony Poorly Mum At the Pirate FM awards ceremony, mum wasn't very well.  In fact she wasn't well for a very long time with several long stays in hospital and two operations.  Mum was not actually beginning to feel better until late August.  I'm pleased to report that mum is back to her normal self again now. Mum & I at Christmas The British Transplant Games The British Transplant Games were in Liverpool last year at the end of July.  As is always the case, the Plymouth Team was small but mighty!  Winning 25 medals between jus

Goodbye Dad

It  is with great sadness that I am writing this blog. My Dad, Terry Carroll, passed away on the 31st August following a cardiac arrest on Helston Bowling Green on the 24th August. We take great comfort in the fact that he was doing what he loved. Dad was taken to hospital by air ambulance and had his heart restarted, however, his brain was without oxygen for too long and we were told by the doctors that he was very unlikely to survive.   After three days with no response from dad, the doctor introduced us to the donor nurse. As you know, all of my family are advocates for organ donation, but we never thought for a minute that we would be on the other side of that conversation. Dad had been on the donor register for many years, long before I was unwell, and had made his wishes very clear, therefore we said yes.   The fact that dad wished to donate his organs meant that there was a delay before the doctors took dad off his ventilator, 12 hours or so.  We discovered that dad