Skip to main content

A Year of Change!!

A year ago today, at about this time, I was sat in my sitting room with Trevor, Mum and two Police Officers whilst they were explaining to me how the out of hours doctors (Serco) had been unable to contact me by phone or by visiting my home. 

The severity of my condition was such that the Doctors had decided to call in the Police to break into my house, if necessary, and get the message to me that I had to call Serco immediately.  Fortunately breaking into my home was not necessary as one of the police officers knew my mum and contacted her and she then helped to get in contact with me.

Having spoken to the Doctor on the phone I was told that I had a problem with my kidneys and that I must go to the Medical Admissions Unit at Treliske straight away.  This visit to hospital was the first in my life and it would last a week, half of which was in the High Dependency Unit and the other half of which was in the renal unit.

My blood pressure initially had been the problem with a reading in the region of 250/150.  This is why I ended up in HDU.  It took a fair while to bring it down to a more reasonable level and drugs had to be used which my consultant would have preferred not to use!

I had a biopsy of my kidney when my blood pressure was under control and numerous blood tests, however, the reason for my kidney failure has never been discovered.

Whilst in hospital I discovered that I had 6% kidney function with creatinine of 679, normal is in the region of 60-120. 

My consultant and I were hoping that I would stay well enough and stay off dialysis until we had gone through all of the necessary tests for my wonderful mum to donate a kidney to me.  Although the hospital (Derriford for the transplant) were brilliant and swift with their investigations my results started deteriorating and although I was still feeling ok(ish) my consultant decided that dialysis was needed when I got down to a 4% function and creatinine crept over 1000!

I was lucky enough to only be on peritoneal dialysis for about three weeks before me and Mum underwent our operations.  On the 11th January 2011, Mum and I were at Derriford and ready to go ahead.  Waiting for news that Mum was ok was unbearable.  The stress and worry that someone you love is going through a major operation just for you, is a large responsibility to come to terms with. 

Both of the operations were successful and Mum was discharged after four days and I was allowed home after ten.

Since then, although there have been many ups and downs, things have been getting better and better.  Mum made a full recovery after about three months and after about six months I eventually got back to full strength myself.

Life is now better than it has been in years!  I live every day to the full and I'm back to being the person with lots of get up and go that I was years ago!

I am so very fortunate, so many other renal patients have a much longer wait than I have, whether it be because they are waiting for an organ to become available or because they are not suitable for a transplant for whatever reason.

I know my time will come again when the gift which Mum has given me will fail, until then, I am going to live every day to the max and thank my lucky stars for this time of normality that that gift has given me.

My diagnoses has changed my life immeasurably.  I now treasure everyday and enjoy every bit of it whether it is doing mundane things or having exciting adventures :-)



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time Flys When You're Having Fun!!

Well here I am again letting you know that another year has passed since I had my transplant FOUR years ago! The difference this transplant has made to my life is enormous. Whilst on dialysis, although I carried on with my life, the fatigue meant I spent the majority of my free time in bed or with my feet up wrapped in loads of blankets with the heating on full as I could never warm up. Now life is unbelievable! In my last blog in August I was telling you the story about my success at the British Transplant Games.  Since then I have had the honor of being asked to represent Team GB in the World Transplant Games in Argentina which will take place in August this year!! I entered the British Transplant Games initially for two reasons, firstly to raise awareness of organ donation and that is still extremely important to me, so if you haven't done so already please sign up here  but don't forget to discuss your wishes with your loved ones. Secondly to get fit and healt

Six Year! WOW!

Another year has passed with the gift of life which I received from mum six years ago! It has been a year of ups and downs, with actually way too many downs. The Pirate FM Awards In April last year I had the honour of receiving the "Sporting Achievement Award" at the Pirate FM Local Hero Awards.  Trev had put my name forward unknowingly to me and I won!  You can read more in my blog HERE .   At the awards ceremony Poorly Mum At the Pirate FM awards ceremony, mum wasn't very well.  In fact she wasn't well for a very long time with several long stays in hospital and two operations.  Mum was not actually beginning to feel better until late August.  I'm pleased to report that mum is back to her normal self again now. Mum & I at Christmas The British Transplant Games The British Transplant Games were in Liverpool last year at the end of July.  As is always the case, the Plymouth Team was small but mighty!  Winning 25 medals between jus

Goodbye Dad

It  is with great sadness that I am writing this blog. My Dad, Terry Carroll, passed away on the 31st August following a cardiac arrest on Helston Bowling Green on the 24th August. We take great comfort in the fact that he was doing what he loved. Dad was taken to hospital by air ambulance and had his heart restarted, however, his brain was without oxygen for too long and we were told by the doctors that he was very unlikely to survive.   After three days with no response from dad, the doctor introduced us to the donor nurse. As you know, all of my family are advocates for organ donation, but we never thought for a minute that we would be on the other side of that conversation. Dad had been on the donor register for many years, long before I was unwell, and had made his wishes very clear, therefore we said yes.   The fact that dad wished to donate his organs meant that there was a delay before the doctors took dad off his ventilator, 12 hours or so.  We discovered that dad