Skip to main content

Seven Years with Kidney Disease 😱

So here we are on the first day of Organ Donation Week and seven years since I was diagnosed with end stage kidney failure and it feels like a lifetime ago! So what's been going on over the past year?

Harry 

Trev and I decided the time had come to hear the pitter-patter of tiny feet in our home and we would now like to introduce you to Harry who joined our home on the 21st January. He has made us so happy and is keeping us on our toes  ❤️

Harry at 8 weeks old

Harry has had an enormous impact on our lives in the short time he has been with us, there is so much fun and laughter all of the time as we watch his antics and go for long walks along the fabulous Cornish coastline.

Harry is now nine months old and he comes everywhere with us :-) 

Harry and I at the end of August

Second World Transplant Games

I had the honour of being selected to represent team GB at the World Transplant Games once again and they were held in Malaga Spain.  At the end of June the fabulous Team GB made their way to Malaga to compete in lots of different sporting events.

Once again I was participating in the swimming events which were held on the Wednesday and Thursday.  

I was overjoyed to come home from Malaga with the following result:

🥈 Silver 50m back
🥈 
Silver 100m back
🥉 Bronze 50m free
🥉 Bronze 100m free
🦋 4th 50m butterfly

With my medals in Malaga

As with the first world games which I participated in, the friendships which I have made from all over the world has been amazing.  Below is Lisa and Rosaura who I met in Argentina and had the pleasure of swimming with again.

On the podium with friends from South Africa and Argentina

British Transplant Games

This year the British Games were held in Scotland at the end of July and they were the fourth games which I have attended.

A small (but mighty) team from Plymouth attended the games and we had a fun packed four days.

My swimming took place on the Saturday and I was super chuffed to have my own supporters! Rosemary & Francis (previously from Cornwall now living in Scotland) came along for the day and cheered me on, along with my Plymouth team supporters.

Once again I was delighted with my result, coming home with a medal in each event:

🥇 50m free
🥇 50m back
🥇 50m breast
🥈 50m butterfly
🥈 100m free 

My Medals from the British Games

The small team of three from Plymouth came away from an impressive haul of 10 medals which really does make us small but mighty in my humble opinion ;-)

The Small but mighty Plymouth Team

That's it for another year, I'm thankful to say that life is good and that I am fit and well and enjoying the gift which mum gave me to the full.

Mum is well and still non stop!  She exhausts me just watching her :-) 


Mum and I on Saturday

On a final note, would you please consider signing up to the organ donor register. Three people die each day waiting for an organ which is devastating.  If you do sign up, please share your wishes with your family.  For more information about organ donation, please click HERE.  Thank you :-) 

Comments

  1. When I was diagnosed with kidney disease, my doctors pumped me full of Prednisone and Cyclosporine - drugs that were supposed to help stop my kidney failure. . . But all it did was give me awful acne and make it impossible to sleep . . . I was soon overwhelmed with mood swings, terrible depression and psychosis that put me in the hospital.

    That’s when they told me my kidneys were close to failing!

    Well, I found a better approach got rid of my kidney disease permanently...

    http://www.healthwise101.com/kidney_disease

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome article with great information, thank you guys for sharing such a fantastic blog. Meanwhile check this out

    Kidney IgA Nephropathy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time Flys When You're Having Fun!!

Well here I am again letting you know that another year has passed since I had my transplant FOUR years ago! The difference this transplant has made to my life is enormous. Whilst on dialysis, although I carried on with my life, the fatigue meant I spent the majority of my free time in bed or with my feet up wrapped in loads of blankets with the heating on full as I could never warm up. Now life is unbelievable! In my last blog in August I was telling you the story about my success at the British Transplant Games.  Since then I have had the honor of being asked to represent Team GB in the World Transplant Games in Argentina which will take place in August this year!! I entered the British Transplant Games initially for two reasons, firstly to raise awareness of organ donation and that is still extremely important to me, so if you haven't done so already please sign up here  but don't forget to discuss your wishes with your loved ones. Secondly to get fit and healt

Goodbye Dad

It  is with great sadness that I am writing this blog. My Dad, Terry Carroll, passed away on the 31st August following a cardiac arrest on Helston Bowling Green on the 24th August. We take great comfort in the fact that he was doing what he loved. Dad was taken to hospital by air ambulance and had his heart restarted, however, his brain was without oxygen for too long and we were told by the doctors that he was very unlikely to survive.   After three days with no response from dad, the doctor introduced us to the donor nurse. As you know, all of my family are advocates for organ donation, but we never thought for a minute that we would be on the other side of that conversation. Dad had been on the donor register for many years, long before I was unwell, and had made his wishes very clear, therefore we said yes.   The fact that dad wished to donate his organs meant that there was a delay before the doctors took dad off his ventilator, 12 hours or so.  We discovered that dad

Six Year! WOW!

Another year has passed with the gift of life which I received from mum six years ago! It has been a year of ups and downs, with actually way too many downs. The Pirate FM Awards In April last year I had the honour of receiving the "Sporting Achievement Award" at the Pirate FM Local Hero Awards.  Trev had put my name forward unknowingly to me and I won!  You can read more in my blog HERE .   At the awards ceremony Poorly Mum At the Pirate FM awards ceremony, mum wasn't very well.  In fact she wasn't well for a very long time with several long stays in hospital and two operations.  Mum was not actually beginning to feel better until late August.  I'm pleased to report that mum is back to her normal self again now. Mum & I at Christmas The British Transplant Games The British Transplant Games were in Liverpool last year at the end of July.  As is always the case, the Plymouth Team was small but mighty!  Winning 25 medals between jus