Skip to main content

First Week at Home Following My Transplant

A week has now passed since I was allowed home following my transplant.  The week started off very quiet and then it seemed to be all go!!

For the next three months I have to go to Derriford twice a week for a check up.  My first appointment was on Monday.  Trev drove me to Plymouth where my check up consisted of being weighed, having my blood pressure taken, having a urine sample checked and finally having my blood taken.  I have to say that at this point it seemed like a very long way to go for these simple checks! 

On this occasion I also had my wound redressed and had the remainder of my staples removed.  As half of my wound is not healing that well I had little steristrips put on to help the wound knit together.

On Wednesday I had a surprise call from the BBC wanting to do a piece on Mum and I on Spotlight that evening!  It took two hours to record everything which they wanted in order to do a two minute slot on the evening news!!

Thursday I was back in Derriford again for my second of my weekly check ups.  I was told that on this occasion I had to wait for my blood results as if they had not improved I would need another biopsy to check that there was no signs of rejection or problems with the drugs which I was taking.

I also had my would inspected again and we had the surprise that I am allergic to the steristrips!  Obviously very unusual!!  They had pulled all of my skin off and left large red open sores on my skin!  They were also itching like mad!  The nurse removed the steristrips and replaced then with a cotton wool type dressing which contained seaweed!  She advised that it helps to draw any moisture out of the wound. 

Unfortunately my results had not improved so I was checked back into hospital straight away and within an hour I had another biopsy performed.  Then I had to yet again lie flat on my back for six hours to ensure that I don't get any internal bleeding.  I now understand why I have to go all the way to Derriford for my initial check ups!!

Yesterday was yet another day of waiting.  It was at about two in the afternoon when the doctor came and told me the good news that there was no signs of rejection in my biopsy nor was there any problems with my medication.  The doctor then said that he thought my initial blood tests were probably better as they were in effect watered down due to the amount of water which was being pumped through my system! 

On Monday I am booked for another small operation, this is to remove my dialysis catheter and to have my stent removed.  I have to say I am pleased that this is being done under a general anesthetic as normally the stent is removed using just a local!  I should then be able to have a bath again!  I have to say I can't wait ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Flys When You're Having Fun!!

Well here I am again letting you know that another year has passed since I had my transplant FOUR years ago! The difference this transplant has made to my life is enormous. Whilst on dialysis, although I carried on with my life, the fatigue meant I spent the majority of my free time in bed or with my feet up wrapped in loads of blankets with the heating on full as I could never warm up. Now life is unbelievable! In my last blog in August I was telling you the story about my success at the British Transplant Games.  Since then I have had the honor of being asked to represent Team GB in the World Transplant Games in Argentina which will take place in August this year!! I entered the British Transplant Games initially for two reasons, firstly to raise awareness of organ donation and that is still extremely important to me, so if you haven't done so already please sign up here  but don't forget to discuss your wishes with your loved ones. Secondly to get fit and heal...

Goodbye Dad

It  is with great sadness that I am writing this blog. My Dad, Terry Carroll, passed away on the 31st August following a cardiac arrest on Helston Bowling Green on the 24th August. We take great comfort in the fact that he was doing what he loved. Dad was taken to hospital by air ambulance and had his heart restarted, however, his brain was without oxygen for too long and we were told by the doctors that he was very unlikely to survive.   After three days with no response from dad, the doctor introduced us to the donor nurse. As you know, all of my family are advocates for organ donation, but we never thought for a minute that we would be on the other side of that conversation. Dad had been on the donor register for many years, long before I was unwell, and had made his wishes very clear, therefore we said yes.   The fact that dad wished to donate his organs meant that there was a delay before the doctors took dad off his ventilator, 12 hours or so.  We ...

Pirate FM's Local Heroes Awards 2016: Sports Achievement Award

On the 23rd March I had a surprise call from Pirate FM .  Unknowingly to me, Trevor had nominated me for a Pirate FM Local Hero Award for Sporting Achievement and I had won!!  Trevor and I were filmed on the 6th April by Pirate FM and they created this clip to show at the awards ceremony as to why I had won this award: Trevor and I were given four tickets to the black tie awards ceremony so we took along my mum, without whom I wouldn't have won the award and my brother Jon. We arrived at the Tregenna Castle Hotel at 7pm where I was presented with a sash to show that I was one of the winners for the night and we then went into the lounge where there was champagne and nibbles on tap! Trev, Me, Mum and Jon on arrival at the awards After the drinks reception we proceeded through to dinner.  Each table had one award winner, the sponsor of that award and representatives from Pirate FM. We had a lovely meal and were then entertai...