Skip to main content

Mum's Tests at Derriford Hospital

Well, what a full on two days they were!!  Mum and I left Helston on Tuesday at 8:30 and made our way up to Derriford.  Our first appointment was in the Renal outpatients department.  It was here that Mum and I had blood taken for the cross matching.  This is where a negative result is a good thing!!  

From here on all the tests performed were on Mum as the two days only aim is to ensure that Mum would not be detrimentally affected if she were to donate one of her kidneys to me.

Firstly we made our way to the Nuclear Medicine department where mum was to have an Isotope Renogram and blood tests which will test how well her kidneys are working.

Mum was injected with three drugs, the first one to make the kidneys work harder, the second so they could be seen on the renogram and the third to see how quickly the kidneys clear.  Mum was then placed between two plates which were a gamma camera.  Slowly as the injected drugs began to go through mum's system, her kidneys became clear on the screen.  Then the bladder.  Mum had to stay under the gamma camera for about 25 minutes.  The Radiologist will be able to produce a graph from this procedure on how well each of Mum's kidneys are working.

Next the Radiologist gave mum three vials for blood to be taken every hour, the point of this is to show how well Mum's kidneys were clearing the substances which were injected into her.  This is like a more rigorous version of the tests which I have to measure the percentage function of my kidneys.

Next we made our way up to the Planned investigation Unit where mum was to stay the night and was our base for all of the rest of mum's investigations. 

When we arrived mum had her first vial of blood taken, she also had to have a cannula put in her hand ready for her CT Scan.  When this was inserted mum had a funny turn and had to be put on oxygen for approximately fifteen minutes, the nurse said it was most probably due to the drugs which had been injected in the Nuclear Medicine department.  I was very glad when she was feeling better. 

Next mum was wheeled down to have a CT Scan, I was not allowed in with mum for this procedure however, mum explained to me that she was injected with iodine which helps make the images clearer and she said that when she had the injection she became extremely hot as the iodine spread through her system.  The scan is an x-ray procedure which takes cross sectional and 3D images of your internal organs. 

Mum then had a "normal" x-ray before she was wheeled back up to the planned investigation unit where she had the second of her blood tests.  There was then no more procedures performed apart from having the final blood test.

My friend Sharon then came up to find me as I was staying with her in Plymouth and we left mum to have a restful (probably not in a hospital) nights sleep!

This morning mum had her final blood taken for the last tests and she was also supposed to be given an ultrasound, however, when we got to the ultrasound room the Doctor advised that the only point of the ultrasound was to check that there was two kidneys before the CT scan and if mum had already had that there was not point in having it!  I felt so sorry for mum, she had been put on nil by mouth since midnight for no point whatsoever, and she was actually supposed to be nil by mouth before the CT scan but wasn't!!  Not to worry, I bought her a bacon bap as soon as we checked out of the hospital!

So there it is, all of the tests have now been performed and we are told that in no longer than a week we will know if mum can donate to me or not!  I suspect if the answer is not I will be going onto dialysis so positive vibes please everyone!!  I will update you next week when we have the results.  Eeeek!!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Flys When You're Having Fun!!

Well here I am again letting you know that another year has passed since I had my transplant FOUR years ago! The difference this transplant has made to my life is enormous. Whilst on dialysis, although I carried on with my life, the fatigue meant I spent the majority of my free time in bed or with my feet up wrapped in loads of blankets with the heating on full as I could never warm up. Now life is unbelievable! In my last blog in August I was telling you the story about my success at the British Transplant Games.  Since then I have had the honor of being asked to represent Team GB in the World Transplant Games in Argentina which will take place in August this year!! I entered the British Transplant Games initially for two reasons, firstly to raise awareness of organ donation and that is still extremely important to me, so if you haven't done so already please sign up here  but don't forget to discuss your wishes with your loved ones. Secondly to get fit and healt

Six Year! WOW!

Another year has passed with the gift of life which I received from mum six years ago! It has been a year of ups and downs, with actually way too many downs. The Pirate FM Awards In April last year I had the honour of receiving the "Sporting Achievement Award" at the Pirate FM Local Hero Awards.  Trev had put my name forward unknowingly to me and I won!  You can read more in my blog HERE .   At the awards ceremony Poorly Mum At the Pirate FM awards ceremony, mum wasn't very well.  In fact she wasn't well for a very long time with several long stays in hospital and two operations.  Mum was not actually beginning to feel better until late August.  I'm pleased to report that mum is back to her normal self again now. Mum & I at Christmas The British Transplant Games The British Transplant Games were in Liverpool last year at the end of July.  As is always the case, the Plymouth Team was small but mighty!  Winning 25 medals between jus

Goodbye Dad

It  is with great sadness that I am writing this blog. My Dad, Terry Carroll, passed away on the 31st August following a cardiac arrest on Helston Bowling Green on the 24th August. We take great comfort in the fact that he was doing what he loved. Dad was taken to hospital by air ambulance and had his heart restarted, however, his brain was without oxygen for too long and we were told by the doctors that he was very unlikely to survive.   After three days with no response from dad, the doctor introduced us to the donor nurse. As you know, all of my family are advocates for organ donation, but we never thought for a minute that we would be on the other side of that conversation. Dad had been on the donor register for many years, long before I was unwell, and had made his wishes very clear, therefore we said yes.   The fact that dad wished to donate his organs meant that there was a delay before the doctors took dad off his ventilator, 12 hours or so.  We discovered that dad