Skip to main content

What a Week!!

It has been over a fortnight since I have updated my blog as nothing has happened which was worthy of note!!  However, this week it has all "kicked off"!!

On Tuesday morning I went for my usual blood extraction ready for my appointment with my consultant on Thursday.  I have been feeling fairly well for the last week so I was not concerned with my results at all, especially as they seem to have stabilised over the last two months.

However, on Thursday morning I logged onto the Renal Patient View to discover that my kidney function had reduced to 5% You may think well that's only a 1% but for me this is actually a 16% reduction in my kidney function!!

I instantly knew what this would mean for me.  My consultant was constantly worrying about me not being on dialysis at 6% so that deterioration would mean dialysis.

At my outpatients appointment it transpired that my blood pressure had also increased substantially, no surprise I thought with the shock I had received that morning.

As expected we discussed at length the fact that they can not take the risk any longer of me not being prepared to be dialysed.  The problem is, I need an operation to have the dialysis tube inserted (this is actually called a catheter but that always makes me think of a weeing tube!) and this needs to heal for a fortnight before it can be used.

The Doctor explained at length that now if I caught a cold or any bug going I would deteriorate very quickly as I had no reserves.  He said that we would only actually perform dialysis on me when I needed it but we had to be prepared.

The next bit of news which I received I was not expecting at all, the Doctor said that there was a rumour that there was a slot available in Plymouth in December for a transplant and that if I was lucky enough to get that slot, I would not need that operation above.  I instantly said that I had been advised that there was no hope of the operation in December as the surgeon was on holiday so I decided not to get my hopes up or this option.

Yesterday I had a call to advise that Plymouth were seriously considering the operation in December and that when mum and I were in Derriford on Wednesday that they would decide there and then!!  Eeeek!  I am also booked into have the catheter fitted on Thursday so Wednesday is extremely important!

So there you have it!  This week coming could mean that I do actually get my transplant in December or I have to have another operation so I can start dialysis, whichever way you look at it I'm gonna be in hospital in the coming weeks!!

Last night I was down at the Blue Anchor in Helston where I was presented a cheque in aid of Kidney Research UK which the patrons of the pub had raised.  I said a short speech to thank them for their huge efforts and generosity.  I was deeply touched to think that they thought of me when deciding what charity they wanted to support this year.  So once again, thank you all so much ;-)

Just to finish off I want to say a huge congratulations to my brother Andy and his wife Emma on the birth of their first baby, Jago Frederick Carroll. I'm praying for the snow to go away so we can come up to Bristol tomorrow as planned to see the wee chap for the first time.

Comments

  1. I just saw your post..you and I do not know each other, but know that you are in my prayers today and I will be hoping you get what you need. I have a 14 year old daughter that has type 1 diabetes and I have spent the last five years trying to build a device that can help her, as well as anyone with renal issues. It is all I think about...making people's lives easier. So here is hoping you get what you need. Take Care...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thank you for your kind message. I will be thinking of your daughter too. It is hard enough at the young age of 35 but being so young must be awful. Wishing you every success with your device. Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time Flys When You're Having Fun!!

Well here I am again letting you know that another year has passed since I had my transplant FOUR years ago! The difference this transplant has made to my life is enormous. Whilst on dialysis, although I carried on with my life, the fatigue meant I spent the majority of my free time in bed or with my feet up wrapped in loads of blankets with the heating on full as I could never warm up. Now life is unbelievable! In my last blog in August I was telling you the story about my success at the British Transplant Games.  Since then I have had the honor of being asked to represent Team GB in the World Transplant Games in Argentina which will take place in August this year!! I entered the British Transplant Games initially for two reasons, firstly to raise awareness of organ donation and that is still extremely important to me, so if you haven't done so already please sign up here  but don't forget to discuss your wishes with your loved ones. Secondly to get fit and healt

Six Year! WOW!

Another year has passed with the gift of life which I received from mum six years ago! It has been a year of ups and downs, with actually way too many downs. The Pirate FM Awards In April last year I had the honour of receiving the "Sporting Achievement Award" at the Pirate FM Local Hero Awards.  Trev had put my name forward unknowingly to me and I won!  You can read more in my blog HERE .   At the awards ceremony Poorly Mum At the Pirate FM awards ceremony, mum wasn't very well.  In fact she wasn't well for a very long time with several long stays in hospital and two operations.  Mum was not actually beginning to feel better until late August.  I'm pleased to report that mum is back to her normal self again now. Mum & I at Christmas The British Transplant Games The British Transplant Games were in Liverpool last year at the end of July.  As is always the case, the Plymouth Team was small but mighty!  Winning 25 medals between jus

Goodbye Dad

It  is with great sadness that I am writing this blog. My Dad, Terry Carroll, passed away on the 31st August following a cardiac arrest on Helston Bowling Green on the 24th August. We take great comfort in the fact that he was doing what he loved. Dad was taken to hospital by air ambulance and had his heart restarted, however, his brain was without oxygen for too long and we were told by the doctors that he was very unlikely to survive.   After three days with no response from dad, the doctor introduced us to the donor nurse. As you know, all of my family are advocates for organ donation, but we never thought for a minute that we would be on the other side of that conversation. Dad had been on the donor register for many years, long before I was unwell, and had made his wishes very clear, therefore we said yes.   The fact that dad wished to donate his organs meant that there was a delay before the doctors took dad off his ventilator, 12 hours or so.  We discovered that dad